There's too many noodles in my soup....ughhhh........

    Having stomach flu while caring for a small child is a special kind of hell. Bug got it first, then Gage and I got it at the same time a couple days later. Luckily I had some help, my In-Laws came and took Bug for a few hours so I could shit myself in peace. But I still managed to do 3 loads of laundry and get some basic groceries for the next couple days while the virus was still just starting to brew in my guts. I had to. I knew I'd be down for the count for 48 hrs and Husband turns into a dick when we're ill, so supplies and preparations had to happen before the river of vomit blew through the house. How is he a dick? I shall fill you in.

     Husband hates it when we're sick, and the first time the flu went through the house he was actually MAD that we got it. Mad at us. Snapped at us for walking into the kitchen to get water, for sitting on the couch to watch TV, etc. For spreading our germs. He actually lectured me while I was miserable with flu, for getting infected with it, because he "didn't have time to be sick". What an ass, right? But when HE gets sick, he needs a fucking bell to summon me with, has a long list of very specific food and beverage and DVD items he has to have from the store, and complains that there are too many noodles in his chicken soup. Pfffttt....

     This time, though, he wasn't a dick, surprisingly. He totally helped take care of stuff, and me, and apologized for being a dick last time around. But he did complain that going to speech therapy with Bug is probably going to get us sick all the time. He's probably right about that but what can we do? We have to go, so I guess we just need to load up on our vitamins before we head out.

     Speech therapy is going great! Bug likes her therapists and I am learning new ways to help her each time we go. She's learning new signs and I'm trying to be harder on her by requiring her to attempt new sounds and signs to get what she wants instead of just pointing and batting her eyes. She literally gets by on her looks to get what she wants and needs. It's kind of amazing that she's not even two but has already figured out "feminine wiles".

     We are getting closer to when B will be coming to live with us, and I get more excited every day. It just feels right. Like it's supposed to be this way. His Mom goes back and forth between hospital and rehab facility, and is nearly impossible to get ahold of, but a friend is in contact with her so I'm gonna send pictures of our house and B's room, the high school, etc., so his Mom can see that he will be taken care of. I'm really scared for her, but I'm trying to stay positive and hope that she'll heal soon and get back on her feet. That's all I can do.

     I'm the only one in this house who likes Christmas, so I'm making Christmas magic for Bug all by myself. It's a lot of work! I took her to the parade downtown with Princess L and family, it was a lot of fun. Our city has so much to offer for young families, it's really cool.


    Then we took the girls to see Santa at the mall. That did not go as well. Oh well. Maybe next year.....


     I put Christmas music on during the day and sing carols to her, I make cookies and ornaments and gifts for people, special meals for the family, pickled veggies, and basically go Christmas crazy. I don't think I'll get to make Polish food this year, though. Maybe Kruschiki, but that's it. Too much work and not enough time. Plus, with Gage gone each winter break, it's kind of strange going all out without both my kids here. I'm hoping that one year I'll have both boys here with us for Christmas. Even if it takes waiting until they graduate high school, I'll still be happy!

     Mom moved to her new house finally! It's off the mountain and all one level so she can get around easier, and be closer to friends and family in town. But it is a big change and scared her a little. She is depressed again and mad at Dad for leaving her, says she's lonely, but won't make plans with her friends, and generally won't try to help herself feel better. It frustrates me. Her dementia moments get scarier for me each time it happens, and it makes me feel helpless that I can't do anything. My brother takes excellent care of her, but she really needs constant care in my opinion. The problem is that she won't let my brother hire anyone. It's her money and she is still in charge of her affairs, so supposedly we have to wait until something bad happens to her before we take control of her care completely. That is even more frustrating.
     Ugh...I need to get off this subject before I get all depressed.

     Let me show you what I made! These are the gifts for the women in the family:
Bath salt cubes

          The best part is that I made these with stuff I already had in the house! I got the recipe from Martha Stewart, and made the ornaments with a cornstarch and baking soda dough. Easy.

     I should give you the recipe for Kruschiki too. They're these light, delicious and simple Polish cookies that I adore. Perfect to serve with coffee, or for dessert after a huge meal when you want something sweet but not rich. Like after Christmas Eve (Wigilia) dinner!

Kruschiki - Just a Pinch Recipes



Ingredients

5 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 large whole egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c powdered sugar
1/4 c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp rum or brandy
2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp corn starch
canola or vegetable oil for frying
powdered sugar for garnish or cinnamon/sugar

 

Directions

1
Combine the egg yolks, whole egg and salt in a bowl of mixer. Beat at high speed about 5 minutes , until thick and lemon colored.
Beat in sugar, cream, vanilla and rum. Add flour and cornstarch and beat until blisters form, about 5 minutes.
2
Turn dough out onto a floured board, divide in half, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for about 20 minutes.
Working with 1/2 the dough at a time, roll out to about 1/16 thickness,(kinda like rolling out homemade noodles). Cut 2-inch wide strips. Cut the strips on the diagonal at 4-inch intervals.(2x4-inch pieces)
3
Heat about 3-inches of oil in a large, deep skillet to 350^. Make a slit in the center of each strip of the cut dough. Then pull one end through the slit to form a bow( sometimes called bow-tie cookies).
4
Fry about 6 at a time for 1 minute or less per side or until golden. These fry quickly, so watch closely. Drain on paper towels.
Dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon/sugar mixture or a combination of all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Masturbatory condiments.

For Mother's Day: I do not want to be around non-English speaking midgets.

I am a delicate fucking flower.