Ahhh... the holidays. I love this shit.

     Ahhh... the holidays are upon us. I love this shit. I love it when everyone has a day off at the same time so there's no excuse not to see each other, and we all eat the same gluttonous feast we've been eating for decades, we remember the fun we had in years past and we make new memories for the younger generation. No, really! There's no punch line, I really do love this shit!

     This year I'm preparing to have the family over for a potluck Thanksgiving. It's a good thing too, because there hasn't been much work in the last month and the job we are on now might not pay until next month. We have no idea. The whole thing is kind of stressful because we have to fly Gage across the country to see his Dad for Xmas, and then we have to fly our new kid here with him on the way back. Things will work out, they always do. I'm surprisingly un-alarmed, actually. I must admit it does seem pointless to fly Gage back to California when he will probably only see his father for a few hours. The dude works non-stop, so Gage spends most of his time alone or with his dad's girlfriend. In my mind, that's $400 down the drain, but obligations are obligations, right? Grrr...

     Oh yeah, the new kid. I haven't said anything about it because I wasn't sure, but now I can say that we are very happy to be able to have Gage's best friend from California come and live with us for a semester, as sort of a trial run to see if he would do better here than back home. His Mom is ill and unable to provide for him right now, and for an undetermined amount of time, and he is unhappy where he is currently staying. B and Gage have been friends since they were 10, and he has always been part of the family. He's a great kid and the two of them seem to bring out the best in each other. They are also stupid teenagers and do dumb shit, but the core of who they are is pure gold. We have the room and the means, so it was really a no-brainer when the subject came up. So yay! I get a new kid! I didn't even have to push this one out!

     Back to Holidays. I run shit in these parts, so I arranged my Mom and brother's Thanksgiving dinner with my uncle (my dad's brother), and arranged my Mom to be able to go to Christmas eve dinner at Gage's Dad's, Aunt's house. So Gage's great Aunt on his Dad's side. That sounds weird, but Gage's extended family is very sweet, and I think once you're part of someone's family for 14 years, that shit doesn't just go away after a divorce. My Mom is totally happy.
     Our family here will eat too much and drink too much, maybe play a board game and some pool, and then demolish the leftover hors d'oeuvre's while we watch all of Family Guy's "Blue Harvest". That's our tradition.

     I am thankful for so much this year, I wouldn't even know where to start. Of course there's the health and well-being of my family and all that shit. But this year I am especially grateful for my friends. I have friends all over the country, and no matter how much or little I see of them they are always ALWAYS there for me and my family when I need them. It is truly amazing. I have a whole network of friends in our hometown that have helped my Mom and Brother get by since we moved to Florida. My bar friends... Not JUST bar friends, these people are are more like family. I have a hand made baby blanket from one of those bar friends; His 80 year old mother knitted it for my baby shower gift (which was held in that bar).
     And then my friends from kindergarten, from roller derby and my Mommy group friends, and my Mommy friend I met here in town...all such wonderful people and they keep me feeling connected even when "home" is so far away. Thank goodness for social networking! Husband is so annoyed by it, but it really does keep me sane and not ever feeling alone in this still unfamiliar place. I LOVE my friends, and I will always make the effort to do for them what they have done for me, every chance I get.

    
     Oh! Bug started speech and physical therapy! So far so good, but the funny thing is that the week before her appointments she started talking. 'Bye' 'Hi' 'No' 'More' 'Tickle' 'Two' and her version of Sesame Street, which sounds like, 'S-S-S-T'. Dude, it's like she's been holding it in all this time....I'm not complaining, I want her to talk, but I did kind of want to punch her for making me worry about her so much all this time. Oh well, won't be the first time I'll want to punch her...right? Just kidding, I don't punch babies, that's horrible! I just talk about it so I don't actually have to do it. Works for me!

     Well, I guess I better get going on the rest of the Thanksgiving preparations. I wanna get most of everything done today so that tomorrow I can relax once the family gets here. Yayyyyy turkey!


Comments

Unknown said…
you're going to have what a few years before you can start punching her in the face but once you do there is no joy quite like it ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Masturbatory condiments.

For Mother's Day: I do not want to be around non-English speaking midgets.